Sunday, September 7, 2008

Now I'm old enough to raise money

Twins for change


Yesterday we had our Auction for Obama party and raised more than $8,000.  Our friends were so generous and good-natured and in the mood to bid.  We plied them with hot dogs and potato salad (and white wine and brie because we are, after all, Democrats) and they supplied us with check after check for Obama.  Big smakaroos to them all.  Moo-ah, moo-ah.
Really the only downsides were the multiple skinned knees (so many kids running around--it's as if all of my friends have exploded in the last few years) and the woman whom I'd never met who accidentally put her baby down in a huge pile of dog shit (damn you, Woody!).  But otherwise, the yard was just alive with happy, rosy liberals—all of us smugly munching our foreign cheese and French wine.  And the mother of the dog shit baby still gave $100!  Thank you.
Our auction table--lots of good stuff!

Now it is the day after and I am literally sitting in my underpants having finally roused myself from my Office stupor (kids are napping).  I curse the day (today, actually) when I discovered hulu.com. I'll never nap again. 

I'm ok with my new found laziness though.  After fulfilling my American fundraising duty, I deserve a couple of hours in my underpants watching Pam and Jim and Dwight.  Don't I?

Oh, and I think the statute of limitations is up on writing about my 20th reunion, which happened a week ago (five days if you subtract the two days I spent recovering from my hangover).  So I'll just say it was fun.  It wasn't a seminal life moment or anything, but I did get to dance to Purple Rain for the first time in a long time and since dancing to Purple Rain is possibly one of the few constants on my "things I love to do" list, I have to say I enjoyed myself very much.  I wasn't the prettiest or the richest or the most successful.  But I was fine and everyone was in great cheer and here's a little secret: women age better than men, at least until age 38.  I'll report back at 50 and let you know how it's going (I am not optimistic).  Oh, also personalities don't change.  Details change, but personalities don't.  I've heard that.  Now I know.

Want to give money to save America and the world?  Click here.

1 comment:

jobwich said...

Really an amazing total. Most people would pay a little extra to watch a baby land on dog poo.

And thanks for the Halloween idea. My kid recently announced the desire to dress as, "Something Purple." Had not considered Prince until reading this post.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin