Monday, March 2, 2009

Kim Carnes is the most exciting thing in my life right now


I know, I know, it's been an age.  I wish I had a good excuse but really I've just been wandering around in a sort of daze punctuated by moments spent watching music videos from the '80s (hello, Rick Springfield!) on You Tube.  A few things happened: My dad came back from a meditation retreat in Patzcuaro, Mexico; I went out to a bar and got totally blottoed on two drinks (it's been a while since I've found myself in a bar), I finished reading a novel that I thought I was going to love but didn't, I lost four pounds on Weight Watchers. But, as you can see, they lack a certain, um, narrative cohesion.  Unless the story they are trying to tell is one about arriving at a plodding middle age.  Here's the thing: I have no idea what's going to happen next.  I'm not even sure what to look forward to.  I know that's supposed to be a sign of depression, but I'm not depressed.  I'm just really, really sleepy a lot of the time.  But obviously I need to shake things up a bit, no?  Now that the Oscars are over and my birthday is behind me I need something to look forward to.

Tell me what you are looking forward to.  Maybe I'll get some good ideas.

But here's something: my children have been lovely this past week.  We've had our battles, but on the whole it's been quite pleasant.  Maybe our endless disciplining is paying off?  Or maybe they got together and decided to give the old lady a break.  She just seems so sleepy and all. 


A thing I like

Betty Davis Eyes, which, let's be honest, is a fantastic song that has really withstood the test of time. I miss the days when you could just rent a wind machine and a get together in your friend's basement and make a video.  Although I have no complaints about Thriller either.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am looking forward to asparagus. And fava beans. And baby artichokes. And other spring vegetables. But not strawberries. It's a trying time, spring, because everyone is constantly trying to make me eat strawberries. But maybe you like strawberries, in which case you could look forward to them.

Anonymous said...

Oh. My. God. Just watched the video. I am now looking forward to watching it many times. It reminded me how easy it was to be a good dancer in the 80s. Sigh.

Anonymous said...

I look forward to seeing pictures of the twins on upmamaswall and yes, it has been ages! Looking forward to that video but since i'm in my cubicle right now on a conference call, I cannot play it. I am TOTALLY looking forward to strawberries and jealous that you get delicious strawberries locally all year long.
xoxo, KT

HBW said...

HA HA HA.

"she knows just what it takes to make a pro blush"! jeez, what a lyric.

just the other day, tiberio and i were in a bar and they had a television with mtv playing, with the sound off. we drank our coffees and watched. tiberio then goes, "you know, i think it's safe to say that music videos have sort of exhausted their repertoire by now."

this was very exciting for me. i just recently found a cassette tape of the psychedelic furs and went into a deep tunnel joy.

jobwich said...

SXSW. Opening Day. Tulips.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin