Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The pull of the open road



Yesterday I'm cruising along Sunset Blvd. (the cold one in San Francisco, not the hot one in LA) in the minivan, blasting some Matt-the-Electrician when I have the most visceral and magnetic road trip urge.  I actually hallucinate the wind in my hair and some red lipstick. The Sienna morphs into some classic convertible. It's all I can do not to swing that baby on t0 280 and keep heading south.
Its been a long time since I've been on a road trip but it remains one of my go-to fantasies.  I don't even know where I'd go: The Grand Canyon ala Thelma & Louise?  Maybe just Santa Barbara or some little inland town I've always wanted to go to.  What about you?  Where would you go given a convertible and five free days?  And who would you take with you?  Me? I think I'd go alone.

A Thing I like

It was going to come to shoes sooner or later.  And here they are: what may be the perfect marriage of comfortable mom-shoe and groovy I-could-totally-be-European style.  Yes, please.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Embarrassing as it may sound, I'd put some Astral Weeks in the CD player and drive towards Yosemite. But I wouldn't go to Yosemite, just po-dunk places near it. I imagine them to have more character than the park itself.

I'd go with my very special lady friend, and sometimes we'd talk, and sometimes we'd be quiet and watch what we pass, 'cause that's how we roll.

Lisa and Russ said...

omg those shoes are fantabulous.

my fave road trip places so far have been lava beds and surprise valley in ca -- all beautiful and vast and empty and random. Also they've been my worst, in a horrible food/running out of gas/agoraphobia way.

of course we'll always have colorado...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin