Monday, November 30, 2009

Airhead



It's been an age. Thanksgiving came and went and I didn't even get to do one of those "what I am grateful for" posts.

Instead I cut both kids hair (an epic battle never to be repeated), wrote a "family beach towns" article for a travel magazine, ate oysters at Tomales Bay Oyster Company (Number 18. Check) and tried to make peace with my mind, which jumps around like a panicked squirrel these days, unable to focus on anything before darting off all wild eyed and nervous to store some nuts.


It's like this: I will think of something I want to tell the mister and by the time I get into the room where he is, like, say 1.4 seconds later, I've not only forgotten what it was I wanted to tell him, but I've completely forgotten I planned on saying anything at all. So then I start sorting clothes until the cookies catch my eye. Then I eat cookies until I realize the phone receiver should really be cleaned out with a toothpick. Then I clean the phone receiver until I remember that I haven't seen my red scarf in a while. Then I go looking for my red scarf....
You get the picture.

This is disturbing for three reasons:
1. I am too young to be losing my mind
2. I never really get anything done
3. I sound like Erma Bombeck (next I am going to be telling menopause jokes and elbow waddle anecdotes)


Only part of it can be attributed to overload. Yes, I have a lot of stuff stored in there (how many calories in and egg? 90. Annie Lamott's first book? Hard Laughter. Best coconut rice in San Francisco? Mandalay. Renegade Craft Fair? December 19. ) And my mental to do list is like a flotilla of random and unrelated flotsam and jetsam, but lots of people have a lot on their minds and manage to remember their thoughts for more than a fleeting second. But I...I, um, yeah...




2 comments:

Simply Mel {Reverie} said...

Damn, I just forgot what I was going to say...hmmm?

Oh yeah, I suffer from this same squirrel syndrome, but my sacks of nuts are never that full!

Brandi said...

I have something I call "almost middle aged, mother of two young kids with way too much stuff on my plate" syndrome. I feel your pain

Blog Widget by LinkWithin