25 thing about Oliver Joseph at two-and-three-quarters:
1. He called Maggie "Sissy" until very recently.
2. We call him "Oliver with the strange water-repellent hair" because his hair is strangely water-repellent.
3. He is crazy about kitties and has been since the first time he saw a picture of one when he was not yet a year old.
4. When something captures his attention he asks us to "talk about it," as in "Mommy, talk about the traffic."
5. He's a spectacular dancer, but he can't throw.
6. I've never seen him tire of being read to.
7. He won't eat any meat, fish, or chicken but he loves tofu and cheese.
8. Sometimes he looks at me and says, "Mommy, you're the cutest."
9. He can throw a mean and prolonged tantrum.
10. He still sucks a paci when he goes to sleep and he'd like to suck it more.
11. His first sentence was "I don't know."
12. He would like the opportunity to ride more buses.
13. He says his favorite color is black.
14. He recently said to me, "I don't want you. I want a different Mommy." It made me cry, but it was a bad day anyway.
15. He likes to figure out how things work: light switches, pulleys, gears, etc.
16. Every night he asks me to sing "Hush Little Baby."
17. I know he wants to play bunnies when he looks at me and says, "Hello, mommy bunny.
18. He is terrified of walking in parking lots or streets (I consider this an accomplishment.)
19. He's in the 17th percentile for height but he doesn't care.
20. He loves to be tickled, especially by his dad.
21. His feet are so wide I fear he may someday have to wear special shoes.
22. When he was born we were told he had a heart murmur caused by a genetic defect. Two years later we found out that his heart is completely normal. No murmur.
23. We once had to come home early from a weekend away because he had such bad diaper rash.
24. He is one of the funniest people I've ever met and I think he might know it.
25. For a large portion of his second year he didn't walk: he ran, hopped or jumped everywhere.
A thing I like
My dad's new Bonsai blog. He's a good writer, my dad. And he knows a lot about bonsai and Japanese gardening and trees in general. He can be kind of a know-it-all, actually. I come by it honestly. My brother Joseph designs the site. He's also a know-it-all, mostly about music and books.