Friday, June 26, 2009

Quesadillas, the Solar System, and Michael Jackson



My dad and brother are in town and we are out in West Marin living the good life (there are oysters and wine and Cowgirl Creamery cheeses in our future so I am happy).

Whenever my dad is out, he tests my kids on their language skills. My kids go to Spanish immersion daycare and are getting quite good at their second language, something my dad is really into it. He's always asking me what they can say and understand and testing their comprehension. He likes to test kids. During the summers he used to make me do my times tables in Roman numerals and write essays about the solar system (mine explained in exquisite detail about how the sun circled the Earth). It sounds tortuous but I enjoyed it at the time. I've always been kind of sick about impressing my dad, hence deciding to do my junior years abroad in Hungary. Hungary? No one goes there.
Anyway, today in the minivan on the way to West Marin he was testing Maggie. And for the most part, she was doing pretty well.

Dad: Como se dice "cat" en Espanol?
Maggie: Gato.
Dad: Como se dice "rat" en Espanol?
Maggie: Raton!
Dad (entering a tunnel): Como se dice "tunnel en Espanol?
Maggie: Quesadilla!

It's the three-year-old version of the essay about the sun circling the Earth, I guess.


A thing I like

I leave with this, because, whatever else he was, he was the pop star of my generation. And this is a great song.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

hi love. i miss you. that's all.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin