Oh, and I painted!
Well, I've been thinking about this all day, about what I would write and what I might list as the positive events or accomplishments of my own personal 2008. And let me tell you, this will be an exercise in counting my blessings because all-in-all 2008 has not been one of my better years.
Here goes, ten things that DID happen this year:
1. It got easier, just like everyone said it would.
2. Maggie stopped wearing diapers just in time for the economic crisis (that's about $100 a month).
4. The Mister and I had our very first weekend away without the kiddies (we went to Santa Barbara).
5. I rearranged my living room and it looks much better. See?
6. I published a short story about about an earthquake.
7. I joined Facebook, started blogging, discovered Etsy, had my first IM conversation , and figured out how to do a video chat with my in-laws. I am Samantha 2.0.
8. I bought my first pair of truly expensive jeans and came to understand why they were worth it.
9. I traveled to Mexico, Delaware, Oklahoma, Petaluma, Calistoga, Yountville, Santa Barbara, and Carmel.
10. I kept my offspring alive and mostly happy and seem to have imparted to them the importance of getting funky, real funky, on the dance floor.
So that's it–it's not a Nobel Prize or even a book contract. But in my defense I am coming off a couple of real stellar years. And at least it's not a van down by the river.
New daily feature alert:
A thing I like
This amazingly funny, deadpan, smart novel about fictional Grouse County, Iowa in the '80s by a guy I've never heard of. Read it. It's great. The End of Vandalism by Tom Drury.